Wednesday 29 May 2013

Chye Seng Huat Hardware Birthday Lunch

Finally got to meet up with the girls (and YL's bf who became our photographer of the day-Thanks KT!) for lunch before flying off to Japan (I'm already back from Japan, and it was AWESOME)! Thanks to our busy schedules, such meet-ups are hard to come by:(  Pris couldn't join us as she was in Boracay with her family. 

Hui suggested that we try out this cafe called Chye Seng Huat Hardware. It is kinda like a coffee bar, brunch type cafe with a hippie vibe (found out that it's brought to you by the same people from Papa Pelheta). I've heard about it before, but had yet to try it out. I mean, the name itself hardly sounds like an enticing place to hangout with your girlfriends. We were joking that the owners didn't have enough funds to change the exterior and a signboard, so they decided to just leave it as such.  

Chye Seng Huat Hardware is located on Tyrwhitt road. It's not extremely convenient, about 10-15min walk from Farrer Park mrt. We arrived at around 2pm and the cafe was still quite crowded. We  managed to get seats though, so it wasn't too bad. The tables outside were pretty much untaken, as it was scorching hot and humid that day (actually almost everyday-.- Sg weather).

The menu itself wasn't very extensive. There were only about 10 mains to choose from. Between the 5 of us, we ordered the scrambled eggs with bacons (2sets), the french toast with butterscotch sauce and bananas (2sets) and the black pepper pork chop. We also ordered some coffee since, well, its opened by the people from Papa Pelheta who are known for their coffee!
Joa's french toast with butterscotch sauce and bananas.
My scrambled eggs with bacons and a cup of expresso with milk.

The cafe was quite small. The five of us were seated at the bar area, which wasn't very conducive for group chit-chats. But we got to spy on the barista while they made our coffee. 

The coffee was really aromatic and smooth, but not too bitter. I'm not a coffee connoisseur, so I can't comment in depth. I'm usually more of an iced coffee person, but this cuppa was really enjoyable, and I can see myself going back for more.

I thoroughly enjoyed my scrambled eggs with bacons!! Actually, what I mega love was their baked beans instead of the actual eggs and bacons. I'm not really a baked beans person, like I'm okay with or without it. But they added bits of freaking tasty bacons in their baked beans!! And its not those kind of typical baked beans with the slightly translucent brown sauce, the sauce was a little thicker and much more tastier. Ahhhhh, it was sooo good. The bacon itself was a little dry, but not too bad. Scrambled egg was moist and quite standard, good enough for me! The toast was just normal toast, not something I'll go crazy over.
Scrapped off the very last bit.

Overall, given the way they design the seating area, this cafe is not really ideal for big groups (more than 4 people), unless you don't mind sitting outside where they have bigger tables. I feel that it is more suitable for an intimate couple lunch/dinner or just 2-3 close friends hanging out. The price was quite reasonable. My scrambled eggs with bacons was $11 and they didn't even have service tax. The service was okay, not exactly the warmest/friendliest. Some of the staff came across as slightly aloof to me, but I guess that's just their 'hipster' attitude.
Love you girls!

Thanks Hui for the treat!! Super love my new bag from Joa also, used it almost everyday in Japan thank you lao dou (: And thank you yl and kt for the awesome spa set (have yet to use it, but it looks good!)

Chye Seng Huat Hardware
150 Tyrwhitt Road
Singapore 207563

No comments:

Post a Comment